Funny little story – Friday, March 20 was the official first day of Spring. Obviously the Tri-state area didn’t get the memo and we had a lovely snow storm. I think it only dumped around 4 inches of snow in the area, but the irony of this happening made me laugh.
- Free race photos! I think this is such an awesome gesture. I’ve already received most of the photos and they came out great (check them out below!)
- Mile markers – HUGE mile markers at every mile and a time clock every other mile. Sometimes its hard to see the mile markers but not at this race!
- Race course – The course was relatively flat with some hills thrown in but nothing too awful. I love Flushing Meadows Park so I’m always happy to run races there.
- Medical and Water Stations – Tons of water/gatorade stations on the course and I also saw many medical tents as well. GU was also available on the course.
- Volunteers/Spectators – The volunteers were great on the course. Very friendly and encouraging. One volunteer told me “I was almost there” at mile 8. Bless his heart, but no, I still had 5 miles to go lol. There weren’t a ton of spectators on the course but the ones that were there were so great – many offered high fives and encouraging words along the way!
- Signage – More signs directing people where to go. Finding the parking lot wasn’t the easiest thing in the world..
- Beer Garden – Since it’s a Michelob race, each participant gets a free beer at the end of the race. Well they closed the beer garden at 11:15am. The race started at 9:15am. Basically this didn’t give all the runners (including me) a chance to get our free beer. It’s not a huge deal, it’s only beer, but I believe in offering what is advertised. Luckily they were also giving out beer to spectators of the race so my mom gave me her beer she received earlier that morning 🙂
- Post-race food – Okay, this is more of a personal thing, but I love bagels…like really LOVE bagels. This is the second race in a row where they didn’t have bagels. I just don’t get it – where’s the bagel love?! LoL