Disclaimer: I received the RunLites Sling to review on my blog. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
If you run early in the morning, or after work (especially in the Winter), it’s inevitable that you will run in the dark. It’s important to be seen while running in the dark. You can do all the right things – wear bright colors, wear a reflective vest, etc. One thing that can really help you stay visible are lights!
What are RunLites?
“RunLites are a hands-free, wearable safety glove with a built in flashlight. It’s perfect for any type of nighttime or low-light activity, from running, walking and cycling to hunting, hiking or other everyday activities. The gloves provide a 135-degree radial arc of light up to 15 feet ahead to increase the wearer’s visibility and has a reflective strip and adjustable power options to help the pedestrian be seen.”
RunLites are durable and built to last. The gloves are made of breathable fabric and padded palm pockets. Ther are three different designs based on your need: Runners, Cyclists and Athletes, Outdoorsman and Survivalists and Everyday Use.
There are a few different options/styles available – winter fleece mittens, half-length gloves, and the sling. If you live in cold climates, the fleece mittens would be a great option. If you wear weightlifting gloves, that’s very similar to the half-length RunLites gloves. I opted for the sling. The sling is pretty unique because you can also wear it over regular running gloves, or solo.
The Perfect Fit
As someone that has run previously with a head lamp, I agree that it can be very uncomfortable! I can only wear my head lamp with a hat. If not, it slides down the front of my forehead and face. The great thing about RunLites is that they stay where they should! No bouncing or sliding down. You honestly forget that you are using them while running because they are so lightweight.
As mentioned earlier, I opted for the sling version of RunLites. Here’s a little more information on the sling from the RunLites website:
The RunLites SLING is perfect for the customer in the warmer climates. A lot of our customers remarked that they wanted handsfree access to light but they didn’t always want to wear gloves.
– The RunLites SLING is the latest in our line of patented handsfree light solutions.
– The RunLites SLING provides the wearer with handsfree directional light (when used with a RunLites rechargeable LED unit) without the warmth of a glove.
– Made of weather resistant material to withstand the elements, it’s a palm free solution!
– This sleek design that has a ‘barely there’ feel but also has a wide reflective wrist strap.
– Velcro pocket for your rechargeable LED unit.
– An off-the-charts cool factor!
What I liked about the sling was that I could use it during the summer and winter running. So far I’ve only used it for winter running over my gloves, but it’s going to great for summer running as well. I has small hands and wrists so I selected the Small size and it worked great. The LED light unit fits inside of the glove, so there was no bouncing. The gloves, and lights, and both super lightweight so it doesn’t feel like anything is weighing you down while running.
Overall, I would give RunLites an A!
– Easy to Use. I was able to charge the lights via the USB cord and slip them into the gloves with no problems.
– Lightweight. I barely noticed that I was wearing these for my run.
– Durable. I’ve washed these a few times and they still look brand new.
– Customer Service. Excellent and speedy!
– Environmentally Friendly. The LED lights are rechargeable.
– Price. The sling is $15.95, but the lights are sold separately at $19.99. A little expensive, but the great thing is that if you decide to buy the half-length gloves, or mittens, you can use the same lights in those as well. You do not need to buy another set of lights for each glove set purchased.
How do you stay visible when running in the dark?