What if everyone ran?
This was the question tackled by MBA students in their quest to see how society would benefit overall is every single American ran. I cam upon the article ‘Number Crunchers’ in the September edition of Runner’s World magazine. It was a fantastic article that highlighted all the good that can be done from running. According to the article, if every American ran:
- The U.S. GDP would rise by $25 billion (that’s a whole lotta dough…)
- The United States could save $143 billion in annual health-care costs (yowsa!!)
- Americans would bake 1.62 billion more birthday cakes (hey, even if it’s cake it’s better to cook your own food so you have control over the ingredients)
- Homelessness could be reduced by 46% (what a wonderful world that would be)
- Thirty-seven percent more people would smile (c’mon, that’s fantastic! the world needs more smiles – always)
- There would be 163,607 fewer divorces (hmm…as a proud divorcee, I highly doubt running would have saved my marriage (lol), but I can see how running could save a marriage. If you’re out running, you can’t argue right?!)