Goodbye August and Hello September! I’m SO ready for summer to be over as I’m sick of running in the hear and humidty. Even though September starts today, we’re experiencing a mini heat wave here in CT. Temperatures are in the 90’s all week with high humidity – bummer 🙁 I love September because that means Fall is near – I can see much cooler runs on the horizon!
Let’s review my August goals and then discuss September goals!
- GOAL: Get in 10,000 steps daily. This did not happen. I have an office job so I rarely get steps in during the day. On non-running days I usually take some sort of strength training class and I’m able to get in around 5,000-6,000 steps. In the beginning of the month, I found myself running on non-running days just to get in the steps. I didn’t want to keep running “junk miles” (running just to run) and tiring out my legs. What I can say is that when I averged out my steps for the month, it was around 13,152 steps per day and 2 hours of activity per day. Some days will be high activity and some days will be low activity, but I’m okay with that average.
- GOAL: Set an established workout routine. I’m going to give myself a 90% pass on this one becaue I’m still not sure about my Monday routine yet (it might just end of being a rest day) For now, I run four days a week (Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday/Sunday) and strength train 3 days a week (Wednesday/Friday/Sunday)
- GOAL: Run 100 miles this month. I surpassed this goal by running 115 miles in August – my highest month ever! In order to hit my goal of 1,007.5 miles this year, I’ll need to average 113 miles per month. I can do this I can do this I can do this!
- GOAL: Launch Black Girls Run! Stamford. This is going SO well so far! We meet three times a week for group runs. This group has runners of all levels and we’re planning on doing a local 5K race at the end of the month.
Alright, so now on to September goals!
- Run 113 miles this month. Oh boy, this is daunting but I know I can do it! This number would have been lower if I wasn’t so lazy in February (where I clocked a whopping 36.5 miles) Sigh. I’m paying for that mistake now!
- Complete all September races. I’ve been dealing with some knee and hamstring pain. It’s gotten a little better over the last few days but neither injury is 100% healed. I’ve got 4 races in September so I’m keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well!
- Start logging back-to-back 9 and 13 mile runs on the weekend. I’m doing the Hat Trick at the Runner’s World Festival in mid-October. I HAVE to get in some experience with doing these types of runs. The hat trick is a 5K and 10K one day and then half-marathon the following day. I need to get my legs ready for this so I dont crash and burn during the race weekend.
- Better nutrition. Hey, we all fall off the wagon once and a while, right? I’ve really got to do better at meal prepping and making smart choices, especially after long runs or a hard workout. Sure, I want to eat #allthefood and pizza always looks appetizing, but it’s just not smart.
How did you do in August? Do you have any September goals?
Just a reminder that today is the LAST day to enter my Freekeh Giveaway!